- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- vegetable oil for frying eggplant
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Place eggplant in colander and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for one hour.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and chili flakes and cook for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes, vinegar and sugar and cook until flavours are well combined, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in olives and capers and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pat eggplant dry. Heat about ½-inch oil in a skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add eggplant to skillet and fry until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a sieve over a bowl. Add eggplant to sauce, stir together and cook for 5 minutes or until flavours are incorporated. Let cool and sprinkle with parsley just before serving. Serves 4.