- 1 pound (500 grams) jumbo scampi or large shrimps
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika or chili flakes
- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken stock
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 cup thickly sliced Spanish dried chorizo sausage
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 medium squid, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or canned tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups short-grain rice, either sushi rice, Spanish Valencia or Arborio
- 1 pound (500 grams) fresh clams
- 1 pound (500 grams) fresh mussels
- 1 cup lima beans or green peas, defrosted
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 3 green onions, cut into long pieces
Use kitchen shears to cut through scampi shell on the leg side (the shell stays on). If using shrimp, shell and reserve shells.
Combine shrimp shells (if using), saffron, stock and paprika and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Discard any shell and reserve.
Heat oil in paella pan or large skillet. Add chorizo and sauté for one minute. Add onion and sauté for two minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add scampi or shrimp and sauté for two minutes or until partly cooked. Remove scampi or shrimp from skillet.
Add squid and sauté in oil for two minutes or until white. Add tomatoes and sauté one minute or until just limp.
Stirin rice, then pour in flavoured stock and bring to boil. Turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is nearly cooked through. Stir occasionally. Add in clams and mussels, cover pan and cook five minutes or until shells begin to open. Add scampi or shrimp and peas and cook another five minutes or until seafood is cooked through. Taste for seasoning. Sprinkle with parsley and green onions. Serves 6 to 8.