It's easier to bake the stuffing separately, even if you are roasting a whole bird, and avoids potential contamination after the turkey cools.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (white and light green part only), about 3 cups
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken or turkey stock, or water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350F.
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, tarragon and marjoram and sauté for 2 more minutes, or until mushrooms begin to exude their liquid. Stir in breadcrumbs. Remove from heat, let cool slightly, then stir in egg, lemon juice and enough stock to moisten breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
Place in a buttered gratin dish and bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake 15 minutes longer. Serves 8 as a small side.