This sweet, tangy traditional sauce is used all over Korea. It can be added to soups and stir fries or served with grilled chicken.
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 slices ginger, about the size of a quarter, peeled
- 4 green onions cut in 3-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons Korean hot pepper paste
- 1/2 cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce1 tablespoon brown sugar
Pour white wine into a pot and bring to boil over high heat. Boil for eight minutes or until reduced by half. Add garlic, ginger, green onions, peppercorns, chili flakes, hot pepper paste, honey, soy and brown sugar and whisk together.
Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until sauce is flavourful and coats the back of a spoon. Strain. Makes about 3/4 cup sauce