- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chili, seeds removed if preferred
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ cup water
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- Salt to taste
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 20 minutes. Add green chili, garlic and ginger. Sautéfor 2 minutes longer or until softened. Add cumin, coriander, chili powder and cumin seeds and sauté for 2 minutes to release flavours.
Add water and tomato and continue to cook on low 3 minutes longer or until spices no longer taste raw. Water should bubble slightly. Add carrots, cover skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add peas and cook a few minutes longer or until tender. Add salt to taste. Serve with the lamb.