- 4 fillets of salmon (6 ounces/170 grams each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped kimchi
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Place salmon pieces skin side down in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Combine mayonnaise, kimchi, gochujang, soy sauce and olive oil and brush over salmon. Marinate for 30 minutes.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon, or until still slightly pink in centre.
Garnish each portion of salmon with cilantro and green onions.
SUGGESTED WINE PAIRINGS
To honour regional custom, you might serve this dish with soju, the grain-based spirit sometimes referred to as Asian vodka. It comes with relatively tame alcohol, at about 20 per cent, but enough to stand strong against salty soy sauce and the spices in Lucy’s recipe. There’s beer, too, but I’d sooner recommend off-dry riesling, with its sweet-tart verve, or chilled, crisp red Beaujolais. - Beppi Crosariol