- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup snow peas, diced
- 1/2 cup stemmed and chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups cooked sushi rice (1 cup raw)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
Heat vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and sauté for two minutes or until softened. Add snow peas and mushrooms and sautéfor another two minutes.
Add cooked rice, stirring constantly. Pour in both types of soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, sambal oelek and sugar. Cook for two minutes longer or until sauce is absorbed. Season with salt and generous amounts of pepper. Fold in spinach, allowing it to wilt with heat from rice.
Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onions before serving.